Friday, June 26, 2009

POWER SHIFT:Youth Climate Summit



Last nights council meeting saw unanimous support for my motion requesting funding for 2 youth delegates to attend the Power Shift:National Youth Climate Summit.

What was behind my actions?

Every year along with many other volunteers I attend World Environment Day at Ulladulla High School. the event is for year 7 and covers many aspects about the importance of our environment-my group focuses on biodiversity in plant life and how important plant life is in the web of life.

This year I attended the assembly to represent the Landcare group. Principal Tracey Provost gave an excellent talk on the challenges of climate change, Tracey made the statement 'that those who would make the greatest difference were in the room today'-Tracey meant the young people, but nearly 200 faces turned towards me, with expectant looks on their faces.

When I had time to reflect on this moment, I felt deeply ashamed that people of my generation-the so called Generation X are letting the Millennium Generation down when it comes to real action on climate change. We haven't been able to effectively lobby government to give us the tools we need to reduce carbon pollution- those tools include a Carbon Tax (not the useless version of CPRS currently being debated) a commitment to demand management, investment in energy savings technology and a move to renewable energy.

When I heard about Power Shift: National Youth Summit, I felt that sending delegate from the Shoalhaven was an excellent way to empower our Youth to help take control of the debate. Knowledge, skills and tools will be available for the delegates that attend, I hope that our Shoalhaven delegates come home as Climate Change leaders and help pull others along the path to action.

Thanks to the other Councillors who supported this small financial commitment that hopefully will have great benefit for helping empower the youth of Shoalhaven.


No comments:

Shelter to Close it doors as letter requesting more rentals goes out.

Salt Care - follow link to see their services  I received the sad news that our local homeless shelter needs to close it's doors on Sund...