Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fossil Walk for Ulladulla


I was always a kid that had little bits of nature in my pocket, twigs rocks seed pods, and I never could resist the opportunity to skim stones, jump in puddles and be the first footprints in fresh snow- I blame that on my mother though who used to drag us out of bed to enjoy the quiet of the fresh snow and put in the footprints!



My daughter will one day blame me for her pockets full of stones.

A recent trip to Tasmania saw plenty of stone skipping and visits to areas of natural wonder. Tasmania is a great place for 'soft tourism'- well formed walks, interesting signboards-ones the kids could actually read. I even had the great fortune to find a fossil in the river pebbles on the edges of the mighty Franklin River-the child like urge raised, I fought the temptation to pocket the treasure, but instead I pocketed a heap of photos from every angle with different light combos- WOW.

Getting back home and going to the regular walking spots, I had my 'holiday eyes' on- you know the ones that are focused on the now and not on the next meeting or the clock! With these open eyes I refound interesting things in my own back yard and thought 'this is better than Tasmania'.

I contatced a local journalist and off we went to our very own fossil walk, and so the idea was born and in need of a champion. Thanks to Phil and an optimistic and open local crew, this idea could very well become a reality.

1 comment:

Amanda Findley said...

The fossil in the photograph might look shiny and new, but it is 280 mill yrs old!

Shelter to Close it doors as letter requesting more rentals goes out.

Salt Care - follow link to see their services  I received the sad news that our local homeless shelter needs to close it's doors on Sund...