Friday, September 25, 2009

Lies, Derision, Back Stabbing its all here in local Government!

Now for the truth!


Below is the follow up piece that the paper printed. But what they feared to print goes like this.

On Monday night, when I 'dared' challenge Clrs Ward and Guile for their roles as deputy, they decide to dish out their little petty tyrant punishment by voting me out of the position of Chairperson for the climate change committee. Of course they will deny this allegation, but I had two separate informants tell me of their backstabbing plot. Besides I have witnessed them execute similar plots on others so was hardly surprised at my fate.
Clr Ward has also threatened me in the past and delivered his vitriolic responses to some of the issues that I have raised.

I have appealed to Clr Ward's ambitious sense of self and requested that he set an example in the chamber and not reduce the argument to ridicule and derision, something he could take with him into state politics setting a new standard in behaviour. It would seem an impossible task for a young man who appears to model himself on the very bad behaviour that government is renowned for.
At least I am under no illusion as to what Clrs Ward and Guile represent.
Sometime ago I raised a notice of motion in regards to meeting etiquette, that had simple statements such as,
Listen without preconceptions and be open to new ideas.
Respect others' points of view.
Encourage quieter people to speak
Avoid negative body language
Avoid sexist language
Address the issue not the person
Avoid all aggressive verbal or non-verbal interactions
Avoid side-conversations and interjections
Leave the room if you don't want to listen

These amendments were howled down as 'unnecssacary' as they are part of an 'unspoken code which all will follow'. I am tempted to raise them again, as Clrs Ward, Guile and Co seem unable to abide them.
Such is politics :-)

Findley explains why she stood against the Shoalhaven’s young deputy mayor

25/09/2009 1:08:00 PM South Coast Register.

AFTER spending a year as Shoalhaven City Council’s youngest-ever deputy mayor, Gareth Ward was re-elected this week.

However he faced a challenge from Greens councillor Amanda Findley.

Cr Findley said she nominated to “give my peers a choice”, and while the votes overwhelmingly went against her, felt it was a worthwhile exercise.

“I felt I had something to offer when it comes to maturity,” Cr Findley said.

While saying she thought Cr Ward had done “a very good job” as deputy mayor for the past 12 months, Cr Findley added, “I’m just as capable, and maybe slightly more mature.”

She admitted being critical of Cr Ward’s behaviour during council meetings, saying he was prone to giggling, passing notes and talking while others had the floor.

“I also wanted to do it for gender equality and women’s representation in local government,” she added.

Cr Findley was supported by Shoalhaven Independents councillors Greg Watson and Josie Young, and said Cr Watson’s vote was “a surprise”.

“At least he had a choice, and that’s what democracy is about,” she said.

After his victory Cr Ward said he was looking forward to being part of continued changes at council.

1 comment:

Fiona Phillips said...

I think as many councillors as possible should nominate for the position of deputy mayor, and Clr Findley's nomination is to be commended. We need diversity big time with Shoalhaven Councillors-bring it on. There are many great councillors that enable diversity, have maturity, a genuine desire to consult with the community, the ability to question regardless of what people might think and good old common sense. I see the position of deputy mayor (and assistant deputy Mayor and Mayor) as fraught and not a good choice for the Shoalhaven without these essential characteristics. A good recruitment panel may be a better process which would sort out the best person for the role based on the desired qualities and experience and with at least an independent community panel member. I have witnessed Council meetings and am appalled at some of the behaviour, particularly the talking over of some councillors. I have also heard of plots to remove people from committees and positions and gloating about it which is very poor behaviour. Everyone has the right to contribute and if everyone listens they might just learn something. It is quite clear who the power group "thinks" they are at Council meetings. They think they are better, but I am sure the public, given time will see through the charade. I know I have.

Shelter to Close it doors as letter requesting more rentals goes out.

Salt Care - follow link to see their services  I received the sad news that our local homeless shelter needs to close it's doors on Sund...