Sunday, October 31, 2010

Please Weed, Proetct Biodiversity, Build Resilience



One of the first things I did today was put a new blade in my trusty pocket saw a sleek Wolf Garten that has assisted in many murders-of Privet and Lantana. I topped up my poison bottle and headed of to the gully prepared to do real damage.

Its a funny thing going to 'war' with plants for the real agenda is building resilience. The little patch I've been working on for the last 7 years with lots of help from friends and relatives is showing signs of greater resilience and today's expedition was a real treat.

The first sounds when entering the patch was the fantastic calls of whip birds I find them kind of elusive as their big sounds lead you on a bizarre meander in search of the utterer. I put my head down and got to work- close to the soft brown earth that was alive with all sorts of creatures going about their business and even though I was creating a path of destruction little brown birds or lbb's and blue wrens were curious enough to come and check it out. I think they like the disturbance as it produces things they like to eat.

The perfume from the Privet was overwhelming but the best bit about working during flowering is the ability to search and destroy - so it is well worth the immersion if your body can stand it.

I found myself in all sorts of weird positions as the creek bank was very steep but the best position was the base of a Koda tree that was getting close to blooming. Unfortunately Honeysuckle had decided to try and squeeze the life out of it. I set to work at the base and chopped honeysuckle coils that were as thick as bananas I was obsessed with releasing the tree from its bonds it was as though the struggle of the tree became the metaphor for what has been happening around me- but this time I was in control, I could take direct and firm action- not waiting for decisions to be made on my behalf. I was going to improve the chances of survival in an uncertain world.

Coming to the end of the task I laughed aloud to whatever was listening, joyful and empowered I felt a little like Harry from Carey's- Bliss who had overcome the weeds and planted the nectar trees for the love of Honey. Successful in building resilience and supporting biodiversity on which we depend.

Boundabah Creek maybe a Privet central but today's efforts unveiled tree frens, young Eucs, a special Lilly that is at its most northern reaches , and a Koda free from the bonds of honeysuckle a day of protecting biodiversity, a day of renewal from weary battles that feel as if they have no relevance in a dying world.

I left behind the ticks and leaches and was rewarded with a cup of tea and a garden salad with crunchy asparagus fresh baby beets and the words ringing in my ears- Please Weed, protect biodiversity, build resilience.

No comments:

Shelter to Close it doors as letter requesting more rentals goes out.

Salt Care - follow link to see their services  I received the sad news that our local homeless shelter needs to close it's doors on Sund...