Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lack of Democracyy Part 2 : things could be getting better!

Just like me- things are looking Up
 

In my last post on the Lack of Democracy, I was willing to give the benefit of doubt to the new Councillors and their inexperience as a way of explaining such pitiful debate on issues currently going to Council.

So I put in a 'John Fergusson' effort at tonight’s Policy and Resources meeting- I did pull up short of debating myself but there were many questions to be asked such as.....

Why didn’t Council report its in kind contribution to the local government election that was outsourced?

In the code of conduct does a mayoral minute cover one matter or one issue (I believe matter is in the single not plural)?

I argued that Councillors should have access to funding for good quality tertiary education that improved their performance as a Councillor ( went down like a lead balloon and I needed a ladder to get of my soap box :0 ) in the process accused Mayor Gash of pursuing a tit for tat against Cllr Guile...oops sorry!

Asked Cllr Watson not to amend his motion that would have Council decide on a preferred route for the new Shoalhaven River Crossing. (RMS are spending a $1 mill on this project as we speak)

Requested that when Councillors were given a tour of Alternative Waste Treatment facilities that they could actually be replicated in the Shoalhaven rather than hugely interesting facilities that process 1/2 a million peoples waste!

Argued that Council should phase out a policy that allows pensioners to get in arrears with their rates for up to 17 years without legal action!

And so it went on.......

Unfortunately for Cllr Wells who proclaimed that the meeting was taking too long because of my questions- I wasn’t about to stop- after all that’s why people voted me in!

It must have been catching because I think all of the Councillors present weighed in on at least one thing on tonight’s agenda.

Oh and to give the Mayor her due she did accommodate next year’s meeting time table back to Tuesdays! So Goodbye Friday night meetings except for June 2013.

Maybe things are looking up!

 

No comments:

Shelter to Close it doors as letter requesting more rentals goes out.

Salt Care - follow link to see their services  I received the sad news that our local homeless shelter needs to close it's doors on Sund...